Apr 10, 2012

Thinking about 2012 today. . .

     So it looks like it is 2012.  Right now.  I understand that a great many people can't wait for this year to be over and for a great many reasons, not the least of which being the chance to clutch their bellies and bellow huge waves of laughter toward anyone who actually thought this year meant something.  I was thinking about this today and it made me a little sad, to be honest.
     First and foremost, let's clear the air a bit and get something straight once and for all; 2012 is not, nor has it ever been the prophesied date of the end of the world.  No culture on the planet (save our own) has ever put in writing, glyph or folk tale that this year would bring about the annihilation of mankind.  Surprised?  Don't believe me?  Hey, I understand, and really, it's not like I can just tell you "go look it up" because looking it up will just prove me wrong.  Not because I'm wrong mind you, but because "looking it up" these days can "prove" anyone wrong.  Evolutionists are well aware of this.  Also, I work in television and let me tell you, the people who have the power and the will to speak to the public are rarely (if ever) the ones who know what they're speaking about.  (Your's truly excluded, kindly)
     People think 2012 is a doomsday prophesy because it's what people want to think.  It's easy to think that and it's easy to dismiss it as another relic of primitive man and his superstitions that we are all much too smart to fall for.  2012 has become an easy, soft piece of marketing and ignorance and any serious intellectual reading this is probably doing so against their better judgement.  I'm writing this to say one thing: 2012 is important and it should be taken seriously and everyone needs to forget everything they've heard through media or most books on the subject. (exception: book pictured.  Essentially a doctoral thesis of Mayan glyphs and mythology.  Read it.)   Why?  Why should you give a damn, my dear?  Simply, because the Mayans are dead.  Well, not technically I suppose, they are living in a dispersed state throughout Guatemala and other countries, but their society died  because they killed it, or rather, they let it die.  Their's was a death due to arrogance, a different sort of arrogance than ours, but arrogance none the less.  The reason this matters is because they looked to the sky, the stars, the galactic centre and wished upon it that people would continue to grow, evolve and change into something great and beautiful.  I'm taking some liberties here but the point I'm making is that for the Maya, 2012 marked a shift in human consciousness, an evolution, more succinctly, a revolution of consciousness.  It was a date, far-off and distant.  A date that could hold promise for all mankind, a promise of elevated thinking, solutions to the problems, the struggles of life.  The Maya suffered because they couldn't find a way to feed themselves efficiently.  How heartbroken would they be if they could see the world today, in their sacred year, the year that all people where supposed to see with evolved eyes, a world that chooses not to feed all its people even though it has the means to do so?
     Now, I'm not saying that we've made no advances since the Maya.  Sure we have this wonderful, magical technology that lets us live long, fat, lazy lives.  It's wonderful really.  We have the previously unfathomable ability to become sick and die en-masse solely because of inactivity and eating synthetic food.  What a glorious future we live in.  This is how I know the Mayans could not see into the future, because if they could see us right now, they would have prophesied doomsday.
  I was thinking of my country today.  I realized that I can't think about Canada without two images popping into my head; oil and Harper.  It's a personal fixation, I'm sure, but these two things cause me the fanciful urge  to go back in time and say to the Mayan: "I'm sorry.  There was no awakening of consciousness, no god-like realization of the Universe.  We just kept sucking the planet dry."
     For the first time in my life, I feel like leaving Canada.  Not because I don't like it and not because I think I could do better somewhere else, but because I seemingly don't represent any relevant number of the populace.  I feel like Canada is a drug dealer living in my neighbourhood and he's getting everyone addicted to an unsustainable lifestyle.  I know the comparison has probably been made a thousand times, but it is an apt one;  Canada (or the whole of western society) is Tony Montana.  Do I need to explain the coke/oil metaphor?  Probably not, but I walk around every day, holding that thought in my head and it's hilariously perfect.  Oooh, ooh.  And the Mayans are that Colombian drug lord on the phone in that scene, and they're saying "I told you a long time ago, you @#$^%," etc. etc.  Anyway, you all know how it ends.  Oh,wait . . . do you?  Come to think of it, do any of our leaders know how it ends?  Do they think the oil keeps flowing and technology keeps pumping along, extending our synthetic lives into eternity?
     That's my biggest question to the world right now, and I'll leave it here as this is getting kind of long.
     Where are we going?  Does anyone think about this?  Is there an end to the means?  We are all taught to have goals for ourselves in our own little lives.  They help us achieve things and stay on track.  Ultimately, we know we're going to die so our goals only have to take us to the end of our lives, but it doesn't work the same for entire races of people.  Human kind won't die.  Not for millions, conceivably billions of years, if we do the right things.  Can we think in terms like that?  Can we live our lives conscious of the reality that billions of people after us will have to keep going, walking on the embers of whatever we've destroyed?  It seems to me that as a whole, people are too locked into their own mortality to realize that, in a sense, we are all immortal.  Humans can keep living until the sun explodes if we have the desire to.  Maybe we can't get our heads around it so we live like the world ends once our own, individual life does.  If this continues, then no, human kind won't go on.  Isn't it all just a big waste of time then?  Isn't each generation, each epoch living for themselves just the same as a person spending their entire life on the couch?
     The Mayans didn't live on the couch.  They sacrificed their own lives to give the future a glimpse of what we could become.  They thought in terms of forever and we remember them for it.  But we certainly don't honour them.

2 comments:

  1. Byron you are so right, yet there is such a small population that understands this as a whole. Canada has a mentality of "if the problem isn't happening in my backyard then it dosnt affect me so why should i care more than a few hours". Lots of people like to rally for a cause but its very short lived not many stick it out for the long haul but are all about the short game. Maybe if there was a way of getting people focused outside of themselves for long periods of time then it could be much more successful, then again isn't organized religion fighting that same problem... how do you think their doing.... i see a lot of believers in church but outside of the church I see more hypocrites then true believers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole religion paradox is something I give quite a bit of thought to. Perhaps another day's blog . . .

      Delete